Sunday, August 14, 2005



Short Cuts

Because I'll be saving my longer reviews for the print zine, I thought I'd start posting some of my short, short ruminations about film here. So look forward to more of these "reviews" over the next few weeks, months, blah, blah, blah.

Ran (1985)

Akira Kurosawa's splendid adaptation of King Lear was the perfect balm to soothe my troubled mind after I made the mistake of re-watching George Lucas' soulless piece of shit Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace in preparation for Sith. Well, I never made it through the re-watch and ultimately never made it to the theaters to observe the masses fumbling over themselves to see the latest craptacular "entertainment" from Mr. Lucas. Ran, on the other hand, is one of the greatest films ever made and one of the coolest, most spectacular and emotionally devastating samurai-science fiction creations ever made. Don't believe me that it's SF? Watch the armies of samurai/aliens/insects battle across the blasted-earth at the base of Mount Fuji and try to deny the feeling that you've left this earth for good. If you can deny it, go back to your fucking Star Wars abominations and rot in your own mediocrity.

No comments: