Monday, June 28, 2004



Eyes Wide Open

I'm still sort of speechless after seeing Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 last night. Although I enjoyed Roger & Me (1989) for the most part, I wasn't exactly a fan. In fact, the guy downright bugged me and my skin crawled everytime some bug-eyed, malnourished peacenik or well-fed, affluent liberal from the West Hills warbled on and on about how amazing he was as if he were Christ, blah blah blah. Nevertheless, I couldn't wait to see Fahrenheit 9/11 ever since I heard he was making it. Imagine the possibilities, I wondered. This could really help turn the tide against King George and perhaps America at large would finally realize that it had been asleep at the wheel for four years now. Even though I didn't exactly like Moore's style of snarky filmmaking and his unfortunate habit of stretching facts to fit his version of the truth, I was hopeful that he would use his power wisely and not fuck up this chance to "expose" the sordid underbelly of King George's realm.

I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I think the film was even better than I had hoped for. I'm still grappling for words to express how brilliant and powerful a lot of it was. Sure, Moore slips up a few times, but the film is an earnest and occasionally brutal rescue attempt to help wipe the sleep from Lady Liberty's punchdrunk eyes. If you haven't already gone to see it, go! Think about it, discuss it, and make up your own mind. And vote, damn it. Vote!

For more info, go to: http://www.michaelmoore.com/

No comments: